Brightening up a dark space is a common challenge when designing a room. There are some tricks, from painting the ceiling to layering in accessories, that will help you make the room brighter.
- Bring in the colors of the sun A tried-and-true trick to making a dark space feel brighter is to fill it with the colors of the sun, like reds, yellows, and oranges;
- Consider light wood flooring. When space needs additional light, it’s best to choose light wood flooring to brighten up the room;
- Hang plenty of mirrors. Double the amount of sunlight in your room by allowing it to bounce off reflective surfaces. Hang a large mirror directly across from the largest window in your room, or arrange an array of smaller mirrors to help brighten a dark staircase;
- Trim the trees by your windows. If light can’t reach your window, it certainly won’t be able to brighten your room. Make sure any bushes or trees near your windows are trimmed regularly and avoid planting trees on the southern side of your home;
- Opt for a white or neutral color scheme. This isn’t the place to try out a moody, dark color palette. Think back to sixth-grade science: The lighter the color of your walls, the more light they’ll reflect. If your walls are neutral, paint the ceiling a shade lighter to help light bounce around the room.